The AISTS (International Academy of Sports Science and Technology) today published a comprehensive study on the economic significance of International Sports Organisations in Switzerland; valuing the total impact at an average of CHF 1.07 bn each year to the Swiss economy.
To coincide with the centennial anniversary of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) being headquartered in Lausanne, the study was commissioned by the City of Lausanne, the Canton of Vaud and the IOC, to help illuminate the impact of International Sports Organisations on the economy, including their influence on stimulating employment, business tourism and construction.
The study, which covered an extensive six-year period - between 2008 and 2013 - and involved the participation of all but one International Sport Organisation with a presence in Switzerland, also attempted for the first time to understand their importance beyond the financial contribution by surveying the sentiment of Swiss residents on their local presence.
- The annual average economic impact of International Sports Organisations and their visitors equate to CHF 1.07 billion for Switzerland, CHF 0.55 bn for the Canton of Vaud and CHF 0.25 bn for the Lausanne region
- For every CHF 1 spent in Switzerland by International Sports Organisations, this created CHF 1.55 for the Swiss economy
- In 2013, the 45 surveyed International Sports Organisations employed over 2,000 employees
- International Sport Organisations attracted an average of over 32,000 overnight business visits each year, generating an estimated CHF 19 million on average each year
- Over 70% of surveyed Swiss residents felt proud to have the IOC headquarters based in Switzerland
Switzerland’s hub of International Sports Organisations is a very unique characteristic of the national economy,” says Head of the Study and AISTS Executive Director, Dr. Claude Stricker. “This study helps stakeholders, including policy makers to better appreciate the significance of these organisations on the nation, which up until now has been possibly undervalued.
Download the full report in English and French.
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Claude Stricker
Economic Impact Study, Head of Study
021 693 85 93
About the AISTS
The AISTS (International Academy of Sports Science and Technology), one of the world’s premier Sports Management education and research academies, is committed to professionalising sports management through the three core activity areas of continuing education, applied research and providing an engaging platform for industry connections.
The AISTS’s applied research arm conducts independent and commissioned projects, in addition to helping sports organisations and federations navigate an increasingly complex sport landscape through advisory services. The AISTS areas of focus lie principally in major sport events, international sport management and administration, the development of sport as well as sport for social and economic impact.