What is the Sustainable Sport & Events Toolkit (SSE Toolkit) ?
The SSE Toolkit is an initiative developed by the AISTS and VANOC, the Vancouver Organising Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
It is a practical online “how to guide” for organisers of domestic and international sports events as well as National Federations, International Federations, National Olympic/Paralympic Committees and Cities interested in making their sports and events more sustainable (i.e. contribute to a healthy environment, vibrant economy and equitable society).
Principal Supporting Partner:
About the SSET
The AISTS Sustainable Sport and Event Toolkit (SSET) aims to give sport organisations the knowledge and tools to incorporate sustainability into their daily operations and to execute successful and sustainable sport events. The Toolkit is jointly developed by the AISTS and the VANOC and as a result serves the sports community with a very tangible legacy from the Olympic Games in Vancouver.
SSET integrates the management and sustainability practices recommended by the following organisations into a realistic application for sport events and illustrated with over 150 sports-related examples:
- Olympic Movement Agenda 21
- IOC Guide on Sport, Environment, and Sustainable Development
- ISO 14001-14006 on Environmental Management Systems (ISO-Organisation for Standardisation)
- ISO 26000 on Social Responsibility
- ISO 20121 – Event Sustainability Management System
- CSA Z2010 Requirements and Guidance for Organizers of Sustainable Events (Canadian Standards Association)
- GRI G3 Sustainable Reporting Guidelines (GRI-Global Reporting Initiative)
- SMRS (Vancouver 2010 Sustainability Management and Reporting System)
The following newly developed international standards are currently being integrated in the SSET:
- GRI Event Organisers Sector Supplement (GRI EOSS)
- GRI G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines
Become a Member of SSET
Join a growing number of organisations who believe in making sport more sustainable. Your support will aid the development of new sustainable tools and resources. For an existing list of SSET Members, click here
“The decision to work with the AISTS Sustainable Sport & Event Toolkit was easy for European Athletics. It is the resource our Member Federations and event organisers need to create customised plans for meeting their social and environmental responsibilities and demonstrating our sport’s values.” Christian Milz, Director General, European Athletics
- Exclusive access to SSE Toolkit with extended resources
- Recognition as a SSE Toolkit Platform Member including a member page allowing the organisation to share sustainability related initiatives with other SSE members
- Networking opportunities with other SSET Platform Members
- Reduced rates on AISTS’ seminars and advisory services
- SSE ‘Getting Started’ for CHF 1’950 (normal value ~ CHF 4’350). This fee is excluding VAT (Swiss companies), travel & accommodation:
- Branded softcopy of the SSE Quick Start Guide (Fee includes one language: English, Spanish or French. Other languages are available at additional cost.)
- One-day on-site workshop on “How to Fund Sustainability & CSR’?
- 20% discount on AISTS Open Module: CSR & Sustainability
- Handbook “The GRI sustainability reporting cycle”
- Book: “Sustainability and Sport”, a synthesis of 34 practitioners and academics in the field of expanding sustainable solutions for large sport events, sport organisations and society.
What We Ask in Return
- Share your experiences, learnings and feedback
- Be an active part of the SSET Centre community
- Support the development of the SSET Centre with your annual member fees
SSE Membership Costs
Non-profit sport organisations (e.g. (inter)National Federations, NOCs/NPCs, non-profit event organisers, etcetera) are welcome to apply for a fee waved.
Other organisations pay an annual fee per account:
# accounts Educational institutes & academics Cities & other organisations
1 account CHF 250 CHF 500
5 accounts CHF 500 CHF 1000
More than 5 accounts On request On request